Re: [Public WebGL] Adding types to signatures in detail boxes

On Apr 26, 2010, at 6:18 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 2, 2010, at 3:21 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>>
>>> Currently the method signatures in the (green) detail boxes throughout
>>> the spec omit the types which are in the IDL snippets in the gray
>>> boxes.
>>>
>>> This seems to have been done to follow the pattern in the Canvas spec,
>>> but I find it annoying. In particular, it makes it very difficult to
>>> document overloaded methods.
>>>
>>> I would like to make a pass through the spec and add the types (and
>>> overloadings) from the gray boxes into the method signatures in the
>>> green boxes. Are there any objections to my doing this?
>>

>> It annoys me, too. But yes it was done to match the Canvas spec (and many other W3C spec styles). If it can be done without adding too much noise, I would be all for adding types.
>
> Apologies for the long delay; I've finally made this edit. It included
> removing the "in" keyword for all function arguments, as it is
> implicit in the Web IDL spec, and adding a new .idl-code CSS style to
> handle indentation of the second and subsequent lines if the function
> signature wraps. Layout should work properly for the overloaded method
> descriptions.
>
> What do you all think? In general I think this is an improvement.
> There is a proliferation of uniform* and vertexAttrib* entry points,
> but perhaps we could abbreviate those. For example:
>
>    void uniform1f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x)
>    void uniform1i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x)
>    void uniform2f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x, GLfloat y)
>    void uniform2i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x, GLint y)
>    void uniform3f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x, GLfloat
> y, GLfloat z)
>    void uniform3i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x, GLint y, GLint z)
>    void uniform4f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x, GLfloat
> y, GLfloat z, GLfloat w)
>    void uniform4i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x, GLint y,
> GLint z, GLint w)
>    void uniform[1234]fv(WebGLUniformLocation location, WebGLFloatArray v)
>    void uniform[1234]fv(WebGLUniformLocation location, sequence<float> v)
>    void uniform[1234]iv(WebGLUniformLocation location, WebGLIntArray v)
>    void uniform[1234]iv(WebGLUniformLocation location, sequence<long> v)

This is a big improvement. Thanks, Ken.

I notice there are still a few bad "OpenGL Man Page" links. I'll fix these later today.

Also, I seem to remember that we talked about collapsing getString into getParameter. Did we decide to do that?

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com