Re: [Public WebGL] Adding types to signatures in detail boxes

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2010, at 3:21 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:
>
>> Currently the method signatures in the (green) detail boxes throughout
>> the spec omit the types which are in the IDL snippets in the gray
>> boxes.
>>
>> This seems to have been done to follow the pattern in the Canvas spec,
>> but I find it annoying. In particular, it makes it very difficult to
>> document overloaded methods.
>>
>> I would like to make a pass through the spec and add the types (and
>> overloadings) from the gray boxes into the method signatures in the
>> green boxes. Are there any objections to my doing this?
>

> It annoys me, too. But yes it was done to match the Canvas spec (and many other W3C spec styles). If it can be done without adding too much noise, I would be all for adding types.

Apologies for the long delay; I've finally made this edit. It included
removing the "in" keyword for all function arguments, as it is
implicit in the Web IDL spec, and adding a new .idl-code CSS style to
handle indentation of the second and subsequent lines if the function
signature wraps. Layout should work properly for the overloaded method
descriptions.

What do you all think? In general I think this is an improvement.
There is a proliferation of uniform* and vertexAttrib* entry points,
but perhaps we could abbreviate those. For example:

    void uniform1f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x)
    void uniform1i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x)
    void uniform2f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x, GLfloat y)
    void uniform2i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x, GLint y)
    void uniform3f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x, GLfloat
y, GLfloat z)
    void uniform3i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x, GLint y, GLint z)
    void uniform4f(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLfloat x, GLfloat
y, GLfloat z, GLfloat w)
    void uniform4i(WebGLUniformLocation location, GLint x, GLint y,
GLint z, GLint w)
    void uniform[1234]fv(WebGLUniformLocation location, WebGLFloatArray v)
    void uniform[1234]fv(WebGLUniformLocation location, sequence<float> v)
    void uniform[1234]iv(WebGLUniformLocation location, WebGLIntArray v)
    void uniform[1234]iv(WebGLUniformLocation location, sequence<long> v)