Re: [Public WebGL] Resurrecting Update Scheduling

On Apr 16, 2010, at 10:59 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@mozilla.com> wrote:
> I like the functionality, but I really strongly feel that it shouldn't be in WebGL.  I believe roc proposed something similar to this in whatwg, since it's useful beyond WebGL -- though unlike typed arrays, it doesn't really block any WebGL functionality... the same problem exists for anyone doing animation or interactive rendering on the web in general.  I don't think WebGL should have any dependency on this, but should certainly work well with whatever the functionality is when it's available.
>
> I agree with Vlad; we need a mechanism for JS animation that gives frame rate control to the browser, and this mechanism should not be specific to WebGL or canvas.
>
> My specific proposal for such a mechanism was mentioned in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009OctDec/0226.html
> See the associated thread.

Ok, I agree that we should take this out of band. As for your specific proposal, I don't like the idea of handling this in the DOM event model. That adds necessary overhead to determine how the event is to be handled, and I don't think you can afford that at full frame rate. I think the callback model is much lighter weight and more appropriate for this application. But anyway, we can discuss these issues elsewhere.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com