Re: [Public WebGL] Resurrecting Update Scheduling

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Thatcher Ulrich <tu@tulrich.com> wrote:

Without a JS update scheduler that is vsync aware, the app won't be able to update the scene in sync with the display.

Can you explain why in more detail? I don't understand the issue. If the application script is updating its content at 60 FPS (where "updating the content" includes drawing into a WebGL buffer), and the browser composites the content to the screen during the vsync interval, why would it matter whether the script actually runs during the vsync interval?

I agree with Vlad that we need a mechanism for JS animation that gives frame rate control to the browser, and this mechanism should not be specific to WebGL or canvas. My specific proposal for such a mechanism was mentioned in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009OctDec/0226.html
See the associated thread.

Rob
--
"He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all." [Isaiah 53:5-6]