Re: [Public WebGL] Resurrecting Update Scheduling

On Apr 15, 2010, at 9:19 AM, Vangelis Kokkevis wrote:

>> ...This has been brought up before but this issue is not unique to WebGL.  Apps using the 2d context as well as apps that use just plain HTML both have this issue as well. The example I posted before to show the issue is real was a 2d canvas example and this one is pure HTML.
>>
>> http://www.effectgames.com/effect/games/crystalgalaxy/
>>
>> They are moving stuff around just by repositioning floating DIVs and it has the same problem, it hogs the CPU even when not visible.
>>
>> This is the WebGL group, not the HTML5 group but it still seems like an opportunity to try to solve this more generally.
>
> So then maybe we could treat this like we do Typed Arrays? We could make a RenderUpdate object which has the API above. That keeps it separate from WebGL, but can still be used by it.
>
> On a somewhat related note, I wonder what the CSS animation spec says about that.  Is there any way to pause them while a tab isn't visible?  Chris?

This is not under control of the author currently, although I suppose you could use onfocus events or something. In WebKit on the desktop we continue running animations when tabbed away. On the phone we stop them to conserve battery.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com