Re: [Public WebGL] Content licensing

Hi Lee

I'd be interested discussing it with you - whether you feel it appropriate to do on or off list I'll leave up to you. My email address is in the header if you wish to contact me directly

thanks

Alan

Lee Sandberg wrote:
Hi Alan

I have a shader solution to the problem. It also saves downloading time, memory space on both system memory and graphics memory.

It can be cracked, but it's hard.

Regards

Lee Sandberg

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com <mailto:cmarrin@apple.com>> wrote:

On Apr 12, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Alan Chaney wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I've been excited about the possibilities of WebGL since I first
    heard
    > about it. One question that has come up in our internal
    discussions has
    > been that of copyright protection and ownership. In the
    comparatively
    > simple examples of WebGL use that I have seen so far ALL the
    assets and
    > the scenegraph are downloaded to the browser and in plain-text
    as well!
    > Does anyone have any thoughts about how content ownership rights
    might
    > be protected? I see this as a critical issue for the widespread
    adoption
    > of WebGL as a platform for gaming.

    WebGL doesn't deal with this issue at all. This is a general web
    browser issue, and even more generally an issue with any assets
    available on the web. I'm not sure what the solutions are, but I'm
    sure many have thought about solving them. One of the great things
    about WebGL being integrated with the browser is that whatever
    solution is available there can be used by WebGL.

!DSPAM:4bc4ab95326972051017194!