Re: [Public WebGL] Content licensing

Hi Chris

Chris Marrin wrote:
On Apr 12, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Alan Chaney wrote:

Hi

I've been excited about the possibilities of WebGL since I first heard
about it. One question that has come up in our internal discussions has
been that of copyright protection and ownership. In the comparatively
simple examples of WebGL use that I have seen so far ALL the assets and
the scenegraph are downloaded to the browser and in plain-text as well!
Does anyone have any thoughts about how content ownership rights might
be protected? I see this as a critical issue for the widespread adoption
of WebGL as a platform for gaming.

WebGL doesn't deal with this issue at all. This is a general web browser issue, and even more generally an issue with any assets available on the web. I'm not sure what the solutions are, but I'm sure many have thought about solving them. One of the great things about WebGL being integrated with the browser is that whatever solution is available there can be used by WebGL.

Thanks for your reply. I hope that my question is not considered to be outside the scope of this mailing list, but I do feel that it will be an important point as webgl is considered for more widespread adoption.

Personally, I don't think that the webgl specification should have any content management aspect to it.

I'm a firm believer in WebGL and also the openness of the web. I've actually spent some time thinking about how to solve the issue of rights management of 3D content as it becomes easier and easier to share it, and have some ideas - so far I'm favoring a business model approach rather than a technical approach. My original post was to see if anyone else who is working with or evaluating webgl had any thoughts about it. Rather obviously, if they do, and they think they've cracked the problem, they may not want to share it! However, I suspect as many others have found in other areas of web content creation that there is no simple solution.

If people feel that this isn't an appropriate forum for this discussion, then I'm happy to withdraw and confine any future questions to more technical topics.

Regards

Alan