Re: [Public WebGL] Content licensing

Hi Alan

I have a shader solution to the problem. It also saves downloading time, memory space on both system memory and graphics memory.

It can be cracked, but it's hard.

Regards

Lee Sandberg

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

On Apr 12, 2010, at 8:54 AM, Alan Chaney wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been excited about the possibilities of WebGL since I first heard
> about it. One question that has come up in our internal discussions has
> been that of copyright protection and ownership. In the comparatively
> simple examples of WebGL use that I have seen so far ALL the assets and
> the scenegraph are downloaded to the browser and in plain-text as well!
> Does anyone have any thoughts about how content ownership rights might
> be protected? I see this as a critical issue for the widespread adoption
> of WebGL as a platform for gaming.

WebGL doesn't deal with this issue at all. This is a general web browser issue, and even more generally an issue with any assets available on the web. I'm not sure what the solutions are, but I'm sure many have thought about solving them. One of the great things about WebGL being integrated with the browser is that whatever solution is available there can be used by WebGL.