Re: [Public WebGL] Typed Array spec nitpicks

On Apr 12, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Joshua Bell wrote:

For experimental purposes unrelated to WebGL, I implemented https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/doc/spec/TypedArray-spec.html as closely as I could in ECMAScript 3, and observed a few issues:

* Please update the date at the top; the spec has evolved quite a bit since the version Vladimir posted to es-discuss but they are dated the same. To a casual visitor, they might appear to be the same at first glance. This doesn't have to be an accurate version/last-edited date, just something newer than 25 January 2010.

* It is unclear if ArrayBuffer data is initialized, i.e. is the output of this defined:

var buf = new ArrayBuffer(1);
var bytes = new Uint8Array(buf);
alert(bytes.get(0)); // shows ... ?

It is obviously a security issue if the buffer exposes uninitialized memory. The spec should indicate how it is initialized.

I suspect this is a byproduct of the typed arrays originally being specified inline in the WebGL spec which does specify that everything is initialized.

--Oliver