[Public WebGL] Re: Quake II on WebGL

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 5:29 AM, Joel Webber <jgw@google.com> wrote:
> In case you haven't seen this elsewhere, several of us just made public our
> WebGL port of the Quake II engine:
>   http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/2010/04/look-ma-no-plugin.html
>   http://code.google.com/p/quake2-gwt-port/
> I thought this might be of some interest to this list, as it's probably the
> heaviest use of WebGL I've seen to date. It's basically a straight port of
> the original Quake II C code, via Java, and through GWT to translate it to
> Javascript. We've learned a lot of things about performance in the process,
> which we intend to write up as soon as we have a few spare cycles. To
> foreshadow a bit, let me say that the new Typed Arrays proposal
> (https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/doc/spec/TypedArray-spec.html)
> is definitely on the right track for solving some of our most egregious
> performance issues.
> Have a look if you have a moment, and feel free to ask us any questions you
> may have.

This is really amazing and a remarkable technical achievement. Awesome work!

We would really appreciate hearing your feedback on the typed array
proposal sooner rather than later if your larger performance writeup
will take some time. We're in the process of refactoring the WebGL
specification to reference the typed array spec, and would like to
start soliciting feedback on typed arrays in other working groups.
Your work on quake2-gwt will provide an immensely compelling argument
for providing fast and low-level access to binary data in JavaScript.