Re: [Public WebGL] Reserve "webgl_" prefix in shaders

On Mar 10, 2010, at 4:04 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Cedric Vivier <cedricv@neonux.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What would you think about using "_webgl_" instead? Is your intent
>>> that user code can refer to these identifiers?
>>
>> My intent is primarily for potential internal use by WebGL implementations
>> so in that case "_webgl_" prefix may indeed sound better.
>> However it might be useful for future WebGL-specific extensions to introduce
>> identifiers that are to be referred to by user code, so we should not close
>> the door on that imho.
>>
>> I suggest we either reserve both "_webgl_" and "webgl_" prefixes or only the
>> latter.
>
> OK, let's reserve both prefixes. I've committed spec changes. Please comment.

I have no problem with this definition. But the words in the spec aren't quite right. Is this a hard requirement? If so, it has to say "shall" or "must" and has to state the consequences of using these prefixes. If it is just a recommendation, it should say "should not" or the equivalent.

We should probably make it a requirement, just to avoid browser inconsistency. So maybe the words should be:

	"In addition to the reserved identifiers in the aforementioned specification, identifiers starting with "webgl_" and "_webgl_"
	are reserved for use by WebGL. A shader which has user-defined identifiers starting with these prefixes must not be allowed
	to load."

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com