Re: [Public WebGL] A Declarative node set for WebGL?

On Feb 25, 2010, at 3:31 PM, Len Bullard wrote:

> Don’t we already have multiple declarative formats that can be built over WebGL?   What is the advantage of baking yet another one into WebGL itself?  Because it maps more directly to the native WebGL data structures?  Or because it has the WebGL object model baked into the declarative nodes?

I don't really see it as a "simplified WebGL". But it would perhaps be a bit simpler to get up a simple spinning box with the declarative form than with WebGL and JavaScript. The big advantage is that you tie into the DOM and all its features much more tightly. The browser knows when the DOM tree has been mutated, either structurally or by changing attributes or CSS properties. That information can be used to rerender the 3D scene, but you can't get at it from WebGL today. A declarative form would also compute transforms from the root to the leaf nodes natively and can do so efficiently by caching intermediate results and knowing where transforms are animating.

I don't see this as "yet another 3D scene graph format" I see it as a declarative form of WebGL. If you accept the premise that WebGL is "a good thing" then I think its easier to see this as the logical companion.

> In VRML 2.0, the debate over object/markup impedance mismatching was long.  However, it made the point that interoperability via data transfer (bits on the wire, as Bray says) is very limited particularly where rendering and behavioral fidelity have to be very strong across platforms.
>
> If I understand you, the main advantage of your proposal is the DOM scripting is simplified for those authors who want to instance and navigate directly in the WebGL objects.  Is that right?

Again, I don't think it's as much simplification as it is more tightly tying into the native DOM and rendering facilities of the browser.

I see this node set as taking the "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler" approach to a 3D declarative form.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com