Re: [Public WebGL] getContext multiple context language

Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
Here's essentially Ken's changes plus a few sentences I added to the end to try to make it clear that the multiple-context case is discouraged due to the synchronization cost. I think this is good to go; I'll look at sending it off to html5/webapps today or tomorrow.

  Certain context types may not support all combinations of
  context-specific attributes. If an unsupported set of attributes is
  requested during context creation, but the context ID is otherwise
  compatible with all existing contexts, then the implementation must
  create the new context with a set of attributes that best satisfies
  those requested. The caller is responsible for using context-specific
  APIs to determine whether the attributes used to create the context
  satisfy the requirements of the caller's code.
This opens the barn door far wider for applications to shoot themselves in the feet (to work on one implementation and not on others) than possibly omitted explicit synchronization calls to which vehement objections were raised. I think requesting unsupported attributes should cause getContext to return null or even throw an unsupported operation exception.

Regards

-Mark
begin:vcard
fn:Mark Callow