Re: [Public WebGL] Typed arrays and network data

On 2/3/10 3:51 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
On 2/3/2010 3:44 PM, Oliver Hunt wrote:
On Feb 3, 2010, at 3:40 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Oliver Hunt<oliver@apple.com> wrote:
Things like this should really go to the webapps or possibly the main whatwg mailing list as this api really shouldn't be webgl specific, and more importantly we need input from the wider html5 community for these APIs. I don't really like the way in which we're moving further and further from purely webgl related APIs and trying to specify APIs that really need input from non-webgl people.
On what mailing list is the typed array proposal primarily being discussed?
Typed arrays i think are probably being discussed on the es5-discuss mailing list, networking related APIs probably belong on whatwg or some such -- it seems that this binary data concept should really be tied into the Blob interface which is part of the FileAPI proposal

Blob, ideally, can just become ArrayBuffer if there's agreement on ArrayBuffer and the rest of the typed array bits.

By "just become" do you mean Blob should have an ArrayBuffer property? In general, I like the idea of linking the two.

es-discuss was suggested by Arun and Brendan, but I don't think there's actually much interest in the typed array proposal there (there isn't active opposition, just sort of a "that's interesting" silence).

Well, es-discuss is the place where we can have *this* discussion, for one. Some of the folks on this listserv are likely to also read es-discuss (I know olliej and vlad do). I picked the ECMAScript listserv for this because I really think that we need new language-specific primitives.

I know that *yet another listserv* is a daunting thought, but our discussion does influence the rest of the platform.

Vlad's "strawperson" is here:

http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:typed_arrays

So I'll look to put it elsewhere, or just develop it within the webgl group as a separate standalone specification. That's not ideal, because as Oliver says that it's not really a purely webgl thing, but we have a need for getting it done in finite time...

We should perhaps lead with our own discussion, and then ping the es-discuss listserv. FWIW, we can also ask the Chair of TC-39 (the group basically overseeing next versions of the ECMAScript language) to put this on the March meeting agenda. Essentially, I'd like to see a successor edition of ECMAScript specify this. If that isn't an ideal way to go, we should try something like W3C's WebApps.

-- A*

- Vlad