Re: [Public WebGL] typed arrays + edge cases

On Feb 3, 2010, at 2:50 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:

> A few edge cases keep coming up that are underspecified currently... a few of these we talked about in the past, but I don't know if we captured
>
> - If a non-numeric array property is set/read, what happens?
>
> Suggestion: exception (we have out-of-bounds numeric indexes spec'd to raise an exception currently, so this falls in the same category to me)

In a statically typed language this wouldn't be allowed by the binding, in a dynamically typed language binding (eg. JS) though i would expect the same behaviour as any other object: you'd just end up with a new property.  This is how JS arrays work, and CanvasPixelArray in the DOM, i see no reason for this to differ.

> - If the array type is non-float and a non-numeric value is stored, what happens?
>
> Suggestion: 0 or exception

> - If the array type is float and a non-numeric value is stored, what happens?
>
> Suggestion: NaN or 0 or exception

no idea :-/

> - If the array type is float and someone bit-fiddles an unusual NaN in there, does that unusual NaN get passed to the engine to deal with (even if it might not normally use them, e.g. signalling NaN etc.)?
>
> Suggestion: I don't have a good one.  The engine should maybe convert all NaNs into whatever NaN it understands on element access?

I think we should specify normalisation

--Oliver