Re: [Public WebGL] NPOT (non-power-of-two) textures

On 17/01/2010, at 10:45 AM, Chris Marrin wrote:
2) Allow use of this hardware for WebGL, but disallow the use of mipmaps with NPOT textures. Have glError return an error when either calling texImage2D with a NPOT texture and LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR is set, or when setting LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR when a NPOT texture is set.

I'm finding a couple of other cases which go to software fallback even when I update it to use LINEAR instead of LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR, so there may be a need for a more generic solution than just the NPOT issue. I like the option of number 2, as knowing about the failure to run in hardware offers the programmer the option of changing some settings and trying again, rather than simply not knowing and having no options at all.

Thanks for the earlier replies, and I agree with the observations that were made. I do have a further point for consideration though. The deprecated API section would _not_ have to run on all hardware. It would be fine to have some calls that only run on one or two platforms, in much the same way that there's IE only code, or Opera only code. From this perspective, there isn't an issue with an extra definition like GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB.

It's a bit odd how OpenGL has had a long tradition of not allowing the programmer to probe settings and get answers. "Would this be software or hardware?" is a very useful call! :)

--
  steve@adam.com.au