Re: [Public WebGL] NPOT (non-power-of-two) textures

On Jan 14, 2010, at 1:19 PM, Kenneth Waters wrote:

> Given that Rectangle Textures use different samplers in the shaders (sampler2DRect vs sampler2D) I don't think you could practically emulate this in a shader-based API.
>
> You have to muck with the shader anyway to un-normalize the texture.  Using a different sampler doesn't add any work.  I'm not saying it's easy.

But then the author has to get involved and that means we have to add explicit Rectangle Texture support to WebGL because it doesn't exist in OpenGL ES 2.0. I think adding that support would be a mistake.

> To the best of my knowledge hardware with NPOT support was introduced in mid 2004.

Unfortunately "introduced" is a fuzzy word. Apparently the hardware in question (Radeon X1600) is from 2005 and it "almost" supports generic NPOT. But its support is not GL compliant, so it falls back to software. As I said in my other post, problems like these will naturally go away over time.

-----
~Chris
cmarrin@apple.com