Re: [Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 7:23 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2010, at 4:25 AM, Philip Taylor wrote:
>> (The concept of incompatible contexts should be defined in HTML5,
>> since it's not specific to WebGL - the editor has said he'd be happy
>> to change what HTML5 currently defines, if someone tells him what it
>> should say instead.)
>
> That's a very useful bit of information. Do you think the HTML5 Editor (and other interested parties) would want to discuss the issues here?

Quoting the editor from http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100106#l-897 :

# [23:32] <Hixie> i'll be happy to change teh spec to whatever the
webgl guys think it should say
# [23:33] <Hixie> whether that is that getContext('3d') should blow
away the bitmap, or getContext() for anything should do so, or
getContext() should switch to a different bitmap, or whatever

and also see discussion around
http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20100106#l-494

So I believe he's not particularly interested in discussing it - he
didn't do the original design (that was somebody at Apple while canvas
was a proprietary extension), and doesn't know the technical
requirements for the 3d context (the WebGL group members presumably
know the most about that), and has stated in the past that he doesn't
know much about graphics at all, so he can't add anything very useful
to the discussion. I haven't seen interest in this issue from other
people who are in the HTML WG / WHATWG and not already part of WebGL,
either. The 3d context is the first time the problem of multiple
contexts has come up, so it's just something for the WebGL group to
sort out (and the WebGL group can take all the blame if the solution
causes problems in the future ;-) )

--
Philip Taylor
excors@gmail.com