Re: [Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

On 1/5/2010 11:46 AM, Gregg Tavares wrote:
I'm saying it that way because without "simultaneous" contexts, the
canvas tag has no meaning. Without "simultaneous" contexts separate tags
for each API would have a better solution.

I really don't see much value in having simultaneous contexts accessing the same bucket of bits, even if it was feasable to do it across platforms. The most common case, something like rendering a 2D UI on top of a 3D scene, can be done via multiple canvas elements on top of eachother. The more complex cases, for example taking the contents of a webgl-rendered canvas and wanting to use getImageData/putImageData from the 2D canvas can be done by using the webgl canvas as a source for the 2d canvas -- which is something that would almost certainly have to be done under the hood anyway, so let's make it explicit to authors so that there isn't a hidden performance penalty.

    - Vlad