Re: [Public WebGL] Some WebGL draft feedback

----- "Chris Marrin" <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2010, at 11:40 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
>
> > You can't do 3-level mime types, but you can do script/glsl-es, script/glsl-es+vertex, etc.  But -- I don't think that we need to do any of this, as I don't think there's any need for a standardized glsl mime type, at least for WebGL purposes.  My original c3d demos used the x-shader/x-vertex stuff as just an example of how shader content could be stuck in html content, and other demos have done something similar; it's convenient, but you could just as easily put it all in a custom XML file, inline string, in a display:none <div> or anywhere else, as it was all loaded in the pure js side without involving WebGL at all.  It may not have been the best idea in the first place, even :-)
>
> Right, but in the future we'll probably want to load scripts from external URLs, so having a mime-type will ultimately be useful. So I think it's reasonable to start the process now. But maybe it's too early?

It might be fine to do, it just doesn't seem like something that affects WebGL itself at all; more worried about taking up time and potential premature standardization if we push for something now.  Let's see what folks do?  I have a feeling that anyone actually doing some serious WebGL work will load all their shaders from a single xml file, perhaps one that the various GLSL editors (e.g. RenderMonkey) can edit and work with.

    - Vlad