Re: [Public WebGL] Additional texture/vertex formats

On 21/07/2012 03:42, Jeff Russell wrote:
The bandwidth/memory savings are the main reason one would use them over float, and that's a big one. Not sure if it's still the case but in the desktop GPU world texture filtering was once easier to come by with half float instead of full precision float textures.

I know less about mobile GPUs, but I understand bandwidth is if anything even more of an issue there.

Bandwidth is indeed even more of an issue on mobile and it will almost certainly be the case that filtering will be more available for half-float than float for the same reasons it was once "easier to come by" on desktop.

Regards

-Mark