Re: [Public WebGL] iOS chrome

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:
Given the tremendous level of competition that there now is on the market for Android browsers, I expect that Android browsers will improve very fast over the next year --- and that eventually Apple will feel the incentive to reconsider allowing browser competition on iOS to keep it competitive as an OS on which people need to run browsers.

Unfortunately I don't think they will change their TOS to allow for interpreters. There's a simple reason for this. Apple collects 30% of the sales of every iOS App and they get to control their walled garden. It's their big, holy cash cow. They've deliberately choose to produce a device stiffling competition and interoperability in order to profit. They are, hence not interested in giving users the best apps they can have (by the best means we know, which is competition). And they are thus also not interested in giving a competing app market any way onto their devices (which would happen if you allowed interpreters). It's a regrettable course of action for a monopoly holder to be so outright anti-competitive, but lobbying funding be praised, they are not in any hot water over this.

So given this, I don't see they would ever open their device to competition. One can just hope that they will be surprised by an able and better competitor, as IBM and their terminal/mainframes was surprised to be suddenly overtaken by an uppity 8086 upstart nobody took serious.