Re: [Public WebGL] Restricting WebGL exposure of OES_depth_texture

For what is worth, you can achieve the equivalent of a single-channel FLOAT readback by rendering the bit patterns of the floating point numbers to a 4x8-bit RGBA channel, and then reading the texture. It is horrendously ugly, but it is simple and does the job.

The version I wrote does not handle denormals, infinities, NaNs or anything that is not a "nice" IEEE 754 value. But I have used this in the past, and it works.

I don't have a ready-made GLSL program for you, for technical reasons; but the idea can be seen here:

	https://github.com/cscheid/facet/blob/master/src/shade/bits/encode_float.js

Let me know if you need more specifics.

Cheers,
-carlos