Re: [Public WebGL] HI-DPI displays and WebGL issues

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 2:09 AM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
Whatever solution we provide, it should not be an "HD" solution or a "2x" solution. It should be a solution which separates, once and for all, the notion of actual pixel dimensions of the buffers used by the GPU from everything outside the WebGL context. We just need to get rid of the notion that the current ways of specifying image and canvas sizes have anything to do with the actual pixel dimensions of the incoming media.
I vehemently disagree with the notion that everything should be CSS pixels. Textures are used for many things in 3D applications, a subset of those is which texels to display on screen. Other subsets concern themselves with postprocessing, GPGPU, rendering geometry from textures, generating noise, etc. It is unnegotiatably mandatory that image pixels == real pixels == backing store pixels == viewport pixels == gl_FragCoord pixels.