Re: [Public WebGL] Centroid sampling makes conformance tests fail?

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Nicolas Capens <nicolas@transgaming.com> wrote:
I don't think centroid sampling is of any particular value to ANGLE. It appears to be causing more harm than good, even though it's fully within spec and there appears to be consensus that the 1.0.2 conformance tests will have to be fixed. But it leaves the issue of artifacts that pop up only with ANGLE, that are not easily identified as being caused by anti-aliasing technology. Also, disabling anti-aliasing isn't always a desirable solution. For instance I believe Google Maps renders text that suffers from centroid sampling artifacts, but can use anti-aliasing for the visual quality elsewhere.

That's right.  We have seen some text artifacts on ANGLE-using systems, but MapsGL is much better overall with MSAA enabled than without.

-- bb

Bill Baxter | Software Engineer | wbaxter@google.com | eat more peas!