Re: [Public WebGL] How to set a canvas backing store to display units?

Gregg Tavares (社�) wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Gregg Tavares (社�)
>> <gman@google.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  This only works now because the min "max size" (AFAIK) is 2048 and no
>>> one has tried to make it bigger.
>>>
>>> Yes, by the spec, EVERYONE IS CURRENTLY DOING IT WRONG
>>>

>> Please stop screaming at me.
>>
>> That's not how things work on the Web.  If everyone is already doing
>> something in a certain way, then it becomes the correct way.  Web APIs
>> are
>> bound by web-compatibility.
>>

> Really? There's plenty of examples of breaking changes to web apis or
> deprecated features that have now been removed from browsers that pages
> were using.
>
> The spec does specify a specific usage. People aren't following the spec.
> Those are both true. Whether or not they need to start following it or the
> spec needs to change is up for debate.

Yes - but those kinds of change are generally for obscure corner cases or
long-obsolete features - and the problem generally affects only a
vanishingly small proportion of websites.

Here, we could easily affect close to 100% of WebGL programs - including
very recent ones - including those who followed the code in our example
programs and tutorials to the letter - and this is one of the newest web
API's, not some dusty old junk that people should have stopped using years
ago.

I think we have to tread very carefully.

  -- Steve