Re: [Public WebGL] HI-DPI displays and WebGL issues

(Why did you start two threads?)

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Gregg Tavares (çç) <gman@google.com> wrote:
2) require WebGL to translate from css units to device units when calling gl.viewport and gl.scissor if there's no fbo bound.

would that work? It sounds like it could be confusing.

This is definitely how Canvas is intended to work.

Remember that users can zoom in and out of the page at any time in mobile browsers (and to a lesser extent on desktop browsers). This changes the scaling factor between CSS pixels and hardware pixels in realtime. All this should do, in practice, is cause the backing store to be scaled transparently to the new size during compositing, without the user's code having to set a new viewport. From the perspective of a WebGL app, nothing changes at all and the canvas remains at the same size, since this zooming doesn't change the CSS size of the canvas.

As far as the API is concerned, the "device" should *be* the canvas in CSS "space". Any scaling happening after that is just a compositing detail.