Re: [Public WebGL] bindFrameBuffer doesn't seem to define behavior when target is not a FRAMEBUFFER

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 15:50, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Is the call silently ignored but the return value of getError() on the context object changed to GL_INVALID_ENUM?
Yes.

>Is an exception raised?
No.

>If the latter, how is GL_INVALID_ENUM converted to an exception?
There's a number of ways to have this behavior when desired, including:
http://www.khronos.org/webgl/wiki/Debugging

> I'm guessing, based on thirdhand information, that the call is silently
> ignored but getError() will return GL_INVALID_ENUM if called after that....
> ÂBut that's not actually in the spec anywhere that I can find.

It is defined in the referenced glBindFramebuffer man page :
http://www.khronos.org/opengles/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glBindFramebuffer.xml

> Simply
> defining "generate a XXXXXX error" (which is used all over in the spec)
> would go a long ways here.

Yes, we probably should add this.

Perhaps we should also explicitly define that in case of doubt on
undefined behavior, the referenced ES 2.0 spec or man pages take
precedence.

Regards,