Re: [Public WebGL] The state of MRTs

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
No, there is no official word from the OpenGL ES working group at the
present time regarding the incorporation of MRTs
We're not talking about anything but MRTs right now. And there is already one vendor extension (NV_fbo_color_attachment) that does it. I'm not asking for hypothethicals but for a specific direction.

In a public capacity, I think it is acceptable for WebGL WG members to
guide the introduction of WebGL extensions in a way that seems that it
would not contradict potential future directions of mobile hardware.
 I think we can all agree that we do not want to introduce an extension that contradicts the direction of the GL standards. However, there is a problem in that:
- We don't get told what direction to go
- We don't get a timeline until we'd be told
- We don't get permission to go any direction at all in respects to MRTs

I'm pretty sure that MRTs are coming, to any kind of 3D capable device sooner or later. I'm also pretty sure that it will look pretty much how MRTs are supported by devices that can do them right now. So I fundamentally do not agree with the "oh ye just sit on your hands" idea.