Re: [Public WebGL] The state of MRTs

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> First, if there is no
>> expectation that the functionality will appear on mobile hardware any
>> time soon,
>

>> I personally would not support adding extensions to WebGL that are not
>> slated to appear on mobile hardware in some reasonable time frame.
>
> All I'm hearing is "oh it's not coming for mobiles, therefore won't do".

You're misreading my email in that case.

> Is this confirmed? Is there some kind of official word on the ES workings on
> MRTs? Because if that's what it is. Then I have a radically different
> opinion. If Mobiles are *never* gonna support MRTs, then we can just as well
> add them to WebGL right now. Because, we're not gonna wait 10 or 20 years
> for them.

No, there is no official word from the OpenGL ES working group at the
present time regarding the incorporation of MRTs or any other
functionality in any hypothetical future release of any API or
hardware. I'm sorry that I can't be more clear, but members of the
WebGL WG are privy to information that we can not share publicly.

In a public capacity, I think it is acceptable for WebGL WG members to
guide the introduction of WebGL extensions in a way that seems that it
would not contradict potential future directions of mobile hardware.
For example, by examining the existing OpenGL 4.2 Core Profile spec,
or extensions already proposed against OpenGL ES 2.0.