Re: [Public WebGL] The state of MRTs

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Brandon Jones <tojiro@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been following this thread for a while and I have to admit that the
> continued insistence on "protecting" WebGL from things that might not work
> on mobile is very confusing to me.
>
> For one, there aren't a lot of mobile devices right now that can actually
> support WebGL in any meaningful sense. Opera on Android seems to be the best
> so far but even there the performance is pretty bad when you compare it to
> what the device is actually capable of. In fact, the only mobile device I've
> seen run WebGL respectably is the iPhone/iPad, and that's currently not
> something you can see without having a developer account. Point being that
> if we were to restrict ourselves to writing WebGL apps that work nicely
> between mobile/desktop it would all look like Starfox for the time being.

This is hardly a fair statement. First, there are plenty of mobile
GPUs in existence that do a good job running good looking OpenGL ES
2.0 content. Second, during yesterday's WebGL conference call it was
indicated by at least one browser vendor that performance issues in
their WebGL implementation on Android were caused by inefficiencies in
the browser, and were being worked on. There is an expectation that by
years' end there will be well optimized WebGL implementations on
current ES 2.0 hardware. It would be shortsighted to throw out the
WebGL API's focus on portability now.

> I do expect that situation to improve in leaps and bounds in the near
> future, as I can see this easily becoming a selling point for mobile devices
> and browsers, but in the meantime I see nothing wrong with wanting to flex
> the muscles of WebGL on the desktop. Besides, isn't that why this is being
> proposed as an extension and not a part of the base spec? It's common sense
> to check to see if your extension query returned an object, at which point
> it's on the developer to either take a different render path or notify the
> user that their device doesn't meet the requirements for that app. Although
> I would like to see as few apps as possible lock out mobile, I also don't
> want to sacrifice the possibility of WebGL having it's own version of
> the Samaritan demo at some point simply because not every WebGL capable
> device can run it.

There are at least four technical issues with adding arbitrary desktop
functionality to WebGL as extensions. First, if there is no
expectation that the functionality will appear on mobile hardware any
time soon, then the nascent WebGL ecosystem will be fragmented.
Second, if the functionality touches several areas of the OpenGL ES
specification, it will be difficult to specify it, maintain it as a
separate extension, and avoid poor interactions with other extensions.
Third, the form of the functionality needs to be carefully thought
through to avoid the situation that future mobile hardware integrates
the functionality in a radically, or even subtly, different manner.
Fourth, there is an expectation that official WebGL extensions will
never be removed from browser implementations. See
http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/ .

To the fourth point, perhaps some extensions could be left in draft
state indefinitely, until it becomes clear whether their functionality
would ever be folded in to the core specification, and if so, in what
form. I'm not sure whether this would help or hinder developers, since
it would basically be a statement that at some point, the extension
they are building on is going to be removed in favor of an alternative
form.

In the case of the MRT extension proposal, I've identified some
technical issues. I'll reply to Gregg's email separately to detail
them.

I personally would not support adding extensions to WebGL that are not
slated to appear on mobile hardware in some reasonable time frame.

> That said, I do think it's sensible to try and inform users as much as
> possible when their WebGL application is doing something that will not be
> mobile-friendly, since the last thing we want is for people to inadvertently
> exclude mobile and not understand why. I've seen several charts tossed
> around on the mailing list giving compatibility of feature X on chipset Y.
> If those are available in a sensible format somewhere publicly (or can be
> made so) I think it would be a great idea to put together some browser
> extensions that monitor the extensions that a WebGL app loads and provide
> the user with a "Mobile health report" for their app, detailing what
> features they're using that may affect mobile compatibility. Alternately the
> same extension could be used to "simulate" the feature set of a device class
> by restricting the extensions that can be used. I'd be happy to help with
> the development of such a tool if it gets us to stop bickering about what
> features we can and can't support due to mobile.

Such a tool would be useful. I believe Firefox has a mode where it
restricts many WebGL parameters to their minimums to see whether the
content will run on a hypothetical low-end OpenGL ES 2.0 device. If
this were available in pure JS for WebGL, that would be useful for
identifying not only the use of extensions that might not be
universally available, but also incorrect assumptions being made about
device capabilities affecting the behavior of the core spec.

Personally, though, the existence of such a tool would not change my
opinion above regarding adding functionality that definitely won't
appear on mobile hardware in any reasonable time frame.

-Ken