Re: [Public WebGL] The state of MRTs

LOL

More seriously, the extension development process is described atÂhttp://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/ .

-Ken

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:

The attached picture illustrates our WebGL extension approval process.

To my memory, it's been since the first rumors about WebGL that the benefits of MRT have been enumerated. If we still need to bring examples of why they are good if not crucialÂ(@Florian: I quoted you just for reasoning (: ),ÂI think that something bigger is under the hood that prevent MRT to be included in WebGL. If it is like so, I'd like to hear a clear NO from the WG, so we can just stop dreaming/speculating and don't be stuck in a loop.
No need for far-fetched explanations here.Rather, as far as I'm concerned, just a mix of:

Â- Me not understanding, until Gregg's email today, how useful and widely used MRTs are
Â- I'm more interested in making the current WebGL feature-set work better, than extending the feature-set. I.e., just priorities.
Â- In this instance, extending the feature-set comes at the apparent cost of losing some portability on mobile devices. (I understand Gregg's argument about how "all devices allow N RTs, just with N=1 sometimes" but that's exactly like the VTF situation and we've been bitten there, with real-world WebGL demos not working on mobile devices (like Tegra and Tegra2) because of lack of VTF support, or if you prefer, "VTF with N=0".
I want to add that the above is NOT arguing against MRTs now. It's an explanation of why personally I haven't supported that proposal so far.

If people agree that the usefulness of MRTs is high enough given the cost (distracting from other WebGL work, reducing portability) then I can understand that. I just don't agree with statements that there is no reason at all against doing MRTs now.
Benoit

Benoit
m.