Re: [Public WebGL] The state of MRTs

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> The capabilities of mobile GPUs are advancing, and I would not be
>> surprised if MRT support began to appear in that arena. If or when it
>> does, I think that that would be the right time to advance the WebGL
>> specification to add MRT support.
>
> It would be extremely helpful if we knew what the ES plans for MRTs are. The
> picture looks quite different if say, next month an OES_fbo_color_attachment
> extension is introduced as opposed to having no plan for any standardized
> MRT support in ES.

It would be extremely helpful if the ES WG (or at least ES SL WG) came
out of hiding and behaved like a proper Open Web Standards body.

Who are the members inside Khronos fighting against making ES and ES
SL open with a public mailing list, public bug tracker, public test
suite, public meeting minutes, public IRC channel, etc?

Doing this would:

1. Decrease animosity and fear from the Web community about the
benevolence of Khronos and WebGL
2. Increase developer understanding of the underlying issues in
delivering the most capable WebGL experience
3. Strengthen the documentation and test suites surrounding WebGL by
inviting high quality community contributions (and not rejecting them
a priori with a bunch of legal nonsense)
4. Demonstrate Khronos' understanding of web standards
5. Make WebGL's capabilities universal resulting in:
  A. More chips sold
  B. More WebGL browsers installed

Being secretive, hiding behind paywalls, and insisting on playing
telephone between the WebGL WG and the ES/ES SL WG benefits no one in
the long term. If Khronos does not accept the Way of the Web but still
insists on making "Open Web Standards" and arbitrating conformance to
those "Open Web Standards", it is, in fact, an enemy of the Web
masquerading as steward.

Google and Mozilla surely understand this but cannot speak against the
official standards body in public fora.

I welcome any and all insights into this situation or my misapprehension of it.

Warm World Wide Web Wishes,

David Sheets