Re: [Public WebGL] Extensions

>> Per the WebGL Registration Page, this extension is in draft, so is being implemented per your comment above. Or does that happen >> after the draft is complete?
> When an extension specification is in draft, the vendors may implement it if they prefix the extension name with a vendor prefix.
> Vendor in this case means:
> - Apple (Safari Browser, iOS Browser), prefix WEBKIT_
> - Google (Chrome Browser, Android Browser), prefix WEBKIT_
> - Mozilla (Firefox Browser, Firefox Mobile Browser), prefix MOZ_
> - Opera (Opera Browser, Opera Mobile Browser), prefix OPERA_

Florian,

This makes sense now, thanks for pointing this out. So, in the case when I see WEBKIT_ prefix, it tells me that it is in the Apple webkit sources. Of course this applies to Google also as they use Apple's webkit.

>> At least since the above is a draft, it looks as though Glenn Maynard is responsible for implementing the code. I'm guessing the
>> code is not available until the extension becomes official, is that correct ???
> Glenn Maynard Proposed the specification. Implementation is up to the individual vendors (Google, Apple, Mozilla and Opera).

So, this means that even though an extension is proposed and accepted, it is still up to the vendor to implement it if they wish?

This seems possible for a vendor to not want to implement it and places the decision on them if they do or don't...hmmm, won't that create fragmentation in the future ???

> The extensions prefixed with OES_ are ported from the OpenGL ES extension registry. the ones prefixed with
> WEBGL_ are specific to webgl.

Where do the WEBGL specific extensions go then? Are they still up to each vendor to implement how they see fit ?