Re: [Public WebGL] ANGLE_instanced_arrays extension proposal

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:
The only solution is to periodically read back and save (to main memory, or disk storage) the contents of the buffers that you don't want to lose. You'll still lose the last N seconds of computation, but that's better than losing everything.
Readback will be pretty slow, and I don't think that for a majority of realtime GPGPU applications it would be a feasible choice.
I agree that letting the script do periodical readback of important buffers is not a great solution, but I don't see another. Having the WebGL implementation cache all the buffers would be a lot slower, as it would have to read back stuff all the time, and would use too much memory too, so it's definitely a worse solution.

Benoit