Re: [Public WebGL] ANGLE_instanced_arrays extension proposal

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Florian BÃsch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
This implies that the WebGL implementation maintains a copy of all
vertex data that's been uploaded. As I mentioned above I think this is
impractical on mobile devices.
Well, two points:
- WebGL loose context forces us anyway to keep copies of buffers around in client memory, so it's moot to discuss weather it's impractical on mobile devices. It's not impractical, it's a necessity.

No, you can reload them from storage.  Keeping two copies of every drawing resource decompressed and in memory all the time in case of context loss would be very inefficient.
Furthermore: the WebGL spec doesn't guarantee whatsoever that recovering from a lost context is easy or even possible. It just gives events telling content that it should recreate its WebGL state from scratch. Typically that is possible by reloading textures from where they were originally loaded from, but if some script was storing in a WebGL texture some data that isn't found anywhere else (e.g. the result of a GPGPU computation), then it's just lost.

Benoit

--
Glenn Maynard