Re: [Public WebGL] ANGLE_instanced_arrays extension proposal

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
This implies that the WebGL implementation maintains a copy of all
vertex data that's been uploaded. As I mentioned above I think this is
impractical on mobile devices.
Well, two points:
- WebGL loose context forces us anyway to keep copies of buffers around in client memory, so it's moot to discuss weather it's impractical on mobile devices. It's not impractical, it's a necessity.

No, you can reload them from storage.  Keeping two copies of every drawing resource decompressed and in memory all the time in case of context loss would be very inefficient.

Glenn Maynard