Re: [Public WebGL] ANGLE_instanced_arrays extension proposal

Or, just don't expose it unless it's natively supported. If it's there, apps can use it and get the benefit. I'd rather see the extension implemented and supported in one entire segment of the market than nowhere. OES_standard_derivatives & co aren't emulated if they aren't supported, so I'd say it's fine for this as well.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 12:57 AM, John Bauman <jbauman@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> If you want you could do that only on the first instanced draw from a
>> buffer, and keep a shadow copy afterwards, but it might be difficult to make
>> that perform well.
>
> No nead for readbacks, if you intercept bufferData calls and create a shadow
> copy then which you manage, you can do the right thing once before draw.

This implies that the WebGL implementation maintains a copy of all
vertex data that's been uploaded. As I mentioned above I think this is
impractical on mobile devices.

-Ken