Re: [Public WebGL] ANGLE_instanced_arrays extension proposal

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
Does that change your thinking at all?
Not at all. Well I agree that mobile support is lacking. But that's besides the point (others will doubtlessly make this a big point without my help). No, draw instanced (like any extension that increases performance) is particularly well suited to weak devices. Sure, high end devices will benefit as well. But relatively, very weak devices will benefit a lot. So sure, at the moment it's not implemented by mobiles. But draw instanced doesn't strike me as particularly hard to support (after all it's simply a few additional bits of logic in how pointers are advanced), most mobile GPUs probably already support this in hardware, the driver just doesn't expose it.

Even if the driver didn't support it, I would guess that you could implement this extension using native pseudo-instancing, which could be substantially faster than JS/WebGL pseudo instancing on slower CPUs.

-Won