Re: [Public WebGL] ANGLE_instanced_arrays extension proposal

I would love to see this, even if it is not supported on mobile.
I often find instancing good when performing a lot of dynamic buffer uploads, as you can dramatically reduce the size of your buffers (and the data you have to upload) - even if it's a wash (or maybe even slightly slower) on vertex throughput, the ability to /3 or /4 (or more) my data is a big win in a lot of cases. There's less JS code running to generate the data, less memory usage, and in browsers that require copies to background processes/etc it can save on command buffer space. One can't look at just # of vertices/second to see if it's useful.

With WebGL it should help with API overhead, too - reducing the number of uniform/draw pairings and transitions to native code. Whether that's worth trying to find fallback solutions in software for is debatable. I'd say that a good test would be needed to see, on platforms that don't support it natively, if it's worth doing the software expansion. Again, if it's within a reasonable amount of performance via the non-instanced case but a little slower, it can still be worth it for the memory/buffer savings client-side.