Re: [Public WebGL] Blacklisted driver notification

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Benoit Jacob <bjacob@mozilla.com> wrote:
In fact, the application and the browser know different pieces of information:
Â- the browser knows the system details
Â- the application knows when it's appropriate to make a driver update suggestion [2]

[2]: note that another reason why it is very hard for the browser to know when to make a driver update suggestion, is that many apps prefer to silently fall back to a non-WebGL version and would regard a browser dialog about drivers as disrupting their user experience.

So maybe (this is a pie-in-the-sky proposal) the browser could offer an API to make the driver update suggestion, but the application would have to manually trigger it.

Or, simply a flag during context creation. I'd frame it in terms of "I have my own fallback (or this is an optimization that I can simply turn off), so I don't want the browser popping up and asking the user to upgrade drivers", not as "I think the user is advanced enough that he wants to see driver upgrade notices", though.

Prompting would want to be the default, with the flag saying "don't prompt for upgrades", not the other way around. I'm pretty sure that's the right thing most of the time. Most people don't have a Flash reimplementation to use as a fallback, and if you *are* writing a fallback path, then you're probably testing that path (so you'd see the prompt and find the flag to disable it).

(PS. is my font size OK this time?)

It's still fairly large. Do you have a "remove all formatting" option (like the "Tx" in Gmail)?

--
Glenn Maynard