Re: [Public WebGL] Blacklisted driver notification

I'd really like to see the browsers take care of prompting the user to update their drivers instead of making pages handle it. That takes care of any entropy bit issues (whether your drivers are out of date or not is potentially one more bit that can be used to identify you), simplifies things for people trying to build robust apps (one less case to handle/write copy for/translate/etc), and a browser can more intelligently direct users based on platform/vendor/etc, which are not reliably accessible to user pages. Steam does this for known bad drivers today, and it'd be a great service if the browsers did it (especially as more start to rely on GPU acceleration for their internals).

This prompting for upgrade of drivers is orthogonal to the software renderer, though. The user could of course deny any attempt the browser's make at upgrading, may be running on a pure software device (such as a remote desktop session), or may be unable to upgrade (no administrator access, no new non-blacklisted drivers available, etc) - in cases such as these the potential to run while blacklisted still exists. In some cases, the browser may not even be aware it is running in software - such as if the user is running on a device where the 'GPU' is emulated via mesa or some equivalent.

For this, my instinct would be to add a context creation attribute that specifies that no software fallback should be used. One still needs benchmarks/etc to know whether their performance would be acceptable, though, which diminishes the value. It'd make it easier to quickly block out all those who would certainly be too slow to run an app, however there are many old GPUs out there that would perform just as poorly and an end user still doesn't get a great experience. Users really need to be split into two categories: those who can run a piece of software (but be prevented due to driver issues/etc), and those who can't. Unfortunately where the dividing line lies is different for every application.

I think one thing we can push for is better support in the former case of blacklisted drivers for users who can run an app but are prevented by correctable issues - with better presentation by the browser to users as to why they are blacklisted and potential courses of action. This is something that could be made better today in all browsers without any changes to the spec - although asynchronous context creation could allow for an experience where users get to opt-in to software mode or unsafe drivers.
I don't currently see a bug in Chrome for this - maybe you could file one :) http://crbug.com