Re: [Public WebGL] Automated porting of OpenGL applications to Javascript WebGL applications

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com> wrote:
Dear all,

I'd like to announce a project that we're working on at Mozilla for automated porting of OpenGL applications written in C/C++ to _javascript_ using WebGL.

We're planning to extend Emscripten (a C/C++ to _javascript_ compiler -- http://emscripten.org/) to support OpenGL.  In order to accomplish this, we're attempting to implement OpenGL APIs on top of WebGL, so that the OpenGL calls made by a C/C++ application would be automatically converted into WebGL calls in the browser.

Awesome!

As an initial demo, I ported the es2gears Mesa demo application to the web.  You can view the results of this effort in my blog post here: <http://ehsanakhgari.org/blog/2012-01-25/porting-opengl-application-web>.

As the next phase of this project, I'm planning to create a library to convert OpenGL 1.1 calls to OpenGL ES calls.  This library will provide a replacement OpenGL library which can be used in a project to convert it from OpenGL 1.1 to OpenGL ES.  Once this library is finished, I'm planning to compile it using Emscripten as a compatibility layer for porting OpenGL 1.1 applications to WebGL.  This part of the project is at the initial design phase at this time, and the code will live in this (currently empty) repository: <https://github.com/ehsan/libGLonES>

Thanks for sharing this information and I appreciate that the code is released under open source license.

If you are interested in this effort, feel free to follow the development on my Emscripten clone <https://github.com/ehsan/emscripten>, and the libGLonES repository.  There's a lot to be done in this area, so if you're interested in contributing to this effort, please get in touch with me, and I will be happy to help you get started!

I am interested. Will follow up with you on another email.

Cheers,
--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>