Re: [Public WebGL] Addition of compressedTexImage2D entry points in WebGL 1.0.1

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Gregg Tavares (å) <gman@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Gregg Tavares (å) <gman@google.com>
>> wrote:

>> > The goal of WebGL so far has been if you get an extension you have that
>> > feature. Leaving those 2 queries opens up extensions to break that idea.
>> > Why
>> > not just get rid of them and their by not allow extensions that are
>> > likely
>> > to break for devs who forget to check?
>>
>> The queries also allow discovery of which compressed texture
>> extensions have been enabled. This could be useful information for
>> debugging tools. I don't agree that the presence of the queries opens
>> up new failure modes. If you haven't enabled a particular compressed
>> texture extension then an INVALID_ENUM error is generated. This is the
>> same error that would happen if you enabled a compressed texture
>> extension that happened to not support a particular format, and then
>> attempted to use that format.
>>
>> Getting rid of NUM_COMPRESSED_TEXTURE_FORMATS seems reasonable
>> however. Since we're working with JavaScript, that information is
>> contained in the length of the array returned from
>> getParameter(COMPRESSED_TEXTURE_FORMATS). Several other length queries
>> were removed from WebGL for this reason. Would you support just
>> removing this one and leaving the other?
>

> Sounds reasonable to me.

OK, great. The removal of NUM_COMPRESSED_TEXTURE_FORMATS has been
checked in. Please review at
https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/webgl/specs/latest/index.html
(which will get pushed to the main URL at
www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/specs/latest/ within a few minutes).

-Ken