Re: [Public WebGL] Addition of compressedTexImage2D entry points in WebGL 1.0.1

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Gregg Tavares (å) <gman@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think it makes sense to leave these enums as is, just in case it is
>> desired to allow one compressed texture extension to optionally
>> provide one or more formats.
>

> The goal of WebGL so far has been if you get an extension you have that
> feature. Leaving those 2 queries opens up extensions to break that idea. Why
> not just get rid of them and their by not allow extensions that are likely
> to break for devs who forget to check?

The queries also allow discovery of which compressed texture
extensions have been enabled. This could be useful information for
debugging tools. I don't agree that the presence of the queries opens
up new failure modes. If you haven't enabled a particular compressed
texture extension then an INVALID_ENUM error is generated. This is the
same error that would happen if you enabled a compressed texture
extension that happened to not support a particular format, and then
attempted to use that format.

Getting rid of NUM_COMPRESSED_TEXTURE_FORMATS seems reasonable
however. Since we're working with JavaScript, that information is
contained in the length of the array returned from
getParameter(COMPRESSED_TEXTURE_FORMATS). Several other length queries
were removed from WebGL for this reason. Would you support just
removing this one and leaving the other?

-Ken