Re: [Public WebGL] Depth Texture Extension

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Marco Di Benedetto <marco.dibenedetto@isti.cnr.it> wrote:
but giving priority to the ANGLE version of the extension because an emulator (ANGLE) cannot cope with the original specs, seems too much for me.
i'd be far more happy if the OES extension would pop up in the registry before the ANGLE one.
If we do not introduce OES_depth_texture (because it does not support cubemaps on D3D9) and if we do not create another extension (WEBGL_depth_texture) then there is no viable way forward for any kind of depth texture.

If we introduce just OES_depth_texture with the provision for cube depth textures, then we exclude 100% of all desktop machines from supporting that extension, and since virtually no mobiles support WebGL yet, it's again no support whatsoever for depth textures.

Therefore the only viable way forward is WEBGL_depth_texture excluding cube depth textures, so the extension can be provided by desktops and mobiles.