Re: [Public WebGL] Depth Texture Extension

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I think that's settled, the call gl.texImage2D with a
> TEXTURE_2D_CUBE_MAP_* and a depth component format should should be an error
> then.

This sounds fine, but per Daniel's comments above, the extension name
exposed to WebGL should not be OES_depth_texture.

I suggest either exposing it as WEBGL_depth_texture and defining the
behavior in this extension, or first define an ANGLE_depth_texture
extension enforcing this restriction, and then expose that to WebGL
verbatim. There's precedence for this in the OpenGL ES working group;
see https://cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/registry/trunk/public/gles/extensions/ANGLE/
, which Daniel and others championed.