Re: [Public WebGL] WebGL bufferSubData lacks "size" parameter

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir@pobox.com> wrote:
> I think it's a given that GC is a major pitfall in writing responsive apps
> in any garbage-collected language.  There's a lot of work going on I believe
> in all the engines to improve and tune GC.
Python does not stop the world for noticable fractions of a second
unless under extreme durress that you normally don't get into in the
first place.
Java used to have a lot of GC problems until they improved their
garbage collector and it became a non issue.
Of all the languages out there that are even remotely popular,
Javascripts realtime behavior is by far the worst. Its a far cry even
from Actionscript.

> However, as Ken said -- there's no point in chasing imagined or theoretical
> performance issues.  It should be simple to write a real-world testcase that
> demonstrates any GC problems with using subarrays for arguments; then it can
> be looked at and see what's going on.  Otherwise, we're just talking theory.
This is not some hypothetical/theoretical/naval gazing issue. This is
a real and present issue that deeply influences how we all write code
in JS for realtime apps. I've already reported on this issue in
multiple bug trackers. For your perusal I've also produced 3 new test
cases, enjoy!

http://codeflow.org/issues/gc_subarray.html
// Linux Chrome 15: [runtime: 62.77s] gc'ed 135ms, good frames: 3646,
bad frames: 16
// Linux Chrome 16: [runtime: 59.20s] gc'ed 125ms, good frames: 3390,
bad frames: 16
// Linux Firefox 8: only problems on unfocus etc.
// Linux Firefox 9: no problem

http://codeflow.org/issues/gc_newtypedarray.html
// Linux Chrome 15: [runtime: 60.42s] gc'ed 186ms, good frames: 3098,
bad frames: 51
// Linux Chrome 16: [runtime: 60.26s] gc'ed 220ms, good frames: 2967,
bad frames: 50
// Linux Firefox 8: only problems on unfocus etc.
// Linux Firefox 9: no problem

http://codeflow.org/issues/gc_newtypedview.html
// Linux Chrome 15: [runtime: 59.94s] gc'ed 122ms, good frames: 3452,
bad frames: 15
// Linux Chrome 16: [runtime: 59.94s] gc'ed 122ms, good frames: 3452,
bad frames: 15