Re: [Public WebGL] Context Creation Error Event

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Kornmann, Ralf <rkornmann@ea.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as our new web game is somewhat graphics intensive we see some performances
> problems with browser that have no hardware acceleration for 2D canvas
> operations. Therefore we though to add another WebGL based render engine to
> the game. To get some numbers about how many of our players can use WebGL we
> add a short test in our current beta version of the game.
>
> We were able to create a WebGL context for ~62% of this tests. We had ~22%
> tests with no WebGL support at all (mostly IE). While this is good enough to
> give a WebGL path a try I am somewhat unsure how we can handle the missing
> 15%. For these tests the browser reports general WebGL support but we were
> unable to create the context.
>
> The new draft contains a new error event with a status message. But
> the draft is not very specific how usable this message would be. Will it be
> something that can be understand from the user (in the local language) or
> should we expect something more technical that requires additional support
> from our side?

The intent is that the string should be comprehensible rather than
something like "Error T1649". However, it is intended more for the
browser developers than end user comprehension. For that reason an
application should display additional text indicating that WebGL
failed to initialize in addition to the string from the context
creation error, and link to http://get.webgl.org/ for more
information.

I wonder whether the 15% might be explained by machines whose GPUs are
blacklisted. I don't know whether all WebGL implementations behave
consistently in that situation.

> Bonus question: Is there already an implementation of this error event in
> any browser?

I suspect not -- at least, it isn't yet implemented in Chrome or Safari.