Re: [Public WebGL] Re: WebGL security

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Tony Parisi <tparisi@gmail.com> wrote:
This is maybe off-topic and should maybe go off-list but I had heard MS was shelving Silverlight? Sounds like that's not the case.

Anybody know where that rumor I heard came from and/or how much push MS is making with Silverlight going forward?

At PDC 2010 Microsoft did not mention Silverlight.
Some analysts asked Microsoft about Silverlight and gotten responses of strategy shift, concentrating on mobile and a slowing release cadence.
Other analysis focused on the continued HTML5 improvements in IE9 (and apprently also continuing in IE10).
This lead a lot of analysts to conclude that Silverlight is either discontinued after Silverlight 5, or put on very small flame backburner (reasoning that Microsoft wouldn't slow down on a core product, and wouldn't improve competing technologies in paralel).
In turns this lead to Microsoft issuing statements that Silverlight was very important for them and a strategic part of their business.

Looking at it now I can only see the following things:
1) Silverlight is nearly undocumented.
2) There is no announcement or timetable for Silverlight 6
3) Parts of Windows 8 Metro are built on HTML5 (not Silverlight)
4) Usage of Silverlight is spotty at best in the general internet. I think I can remember about 3-4 sites I came across randomly from the last 2 years that required it. Compared to HTML5 and Flash it has to be some very, very distant third.